Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Hiking to First Creek Canyon, Red Rocks, Nevada

This was taken on the way to First Creek Canyon where we did the trad multi-pitch climb Lotta Balls, 5.8. The approach is an easy hike from the parking lot for around 1 hour and then a bit of an uphill scramble to reach the start of the climb. I found the scrambling to be harder than the climbing for my ankle! The climb was fun with some flake and crack sections that were a bit hard to jam my feet into because I still cannot turn my ankle sideways, but I survived. There is also one section where you are hanging onto small little balls about the size of quarters that protrude out from the rock face. They are one of the strangest rock features I have ever seen! It was a mixed back of climbing styles, nothing strenuous - just a Lotta Balls and a lot of fun!

No comments: